Most homes in the UK are not designed with disabled or elderly people in mind. From narrow entrances and awkward corners to steep staircases and a simple lack of space, the home you love can be a nightmare to live in.
If you or a member of your family has a disability, you may find that your current home is too restricted in its layout. In this situation, you have three options:
- Internal remodelling to open up existing rooms and spaces
- Extending your home to add extra rooms (e.g. a downstairs bedroom and bathroom) or make existing rooms more spacious and open
- Moving to a new property that can be adapted to your specific requirements.
We will work with you to adapt your current home or modify and fit-out your new home before you move in. As well as specific adaptations work, we can provide a full range of building services, including electrical work, gas fitting and decorating. With our personalised one-stop service, you don’t have to worry about dealing with different contractors for different jobs.
We can assist with any size of modification, from widening a single doorway to a full house conversion. Give us a call and we’ll come out and look at your home and work out possible solutions that’ll help you live more independently.
These are just some of the modifications you may find helpful:
- Widening existing doorways and installing rubber ramps to help a wheelchair user move between rooms
- Removing, refitting or replacing doors to make rooms easier to access
- Opening up two rooms to create one larger space
- Replacing existing flooring with a heel-friendly alternative
- Creating a more accessible bathroom and kitchen
- Installing an external ramp to help you get in and out of your home.
If you’re struggling with the layout of your current home, or you’d like more downstairs space, an extension may be an alternative to moving to a new property. We have the knowledge and expertise to design and build an extension that meets your needs. Our team have designed and built many bespoke extensions for disabled customers, so don’t hesitate to contact us if you’re after a bit of advice.
Extending your home allows you to create a more accessible living space. By adding to or opening up the existing space, you can create a stylish open-plan kitchen and living area that’s specifically designed for you and your family. Alternatively, you may want to add a ground-floor bedroom and bathroom to enable you to live on one floor.
If you’ve got designs and planning permission already, we can give you a quote for work based on these. Or if you’re still at the ideas stage, we can work with you to design and build your extension from start to finish. We’re experienced in dealing with all aspects of the process, including drawing up architect’s plans, helping with planning permission and dealing with building control. So, you can sit back and relax while we get on with the work.