FAQs 2017-06-09T11:20:34+00:00

Frequently Asked Questions

There’s a lot to think about when planning adaptations to your home and you need to make sure you’re hiring the right person for the job. We’ve produced a list of the questions we most commonly get asked – just click on the plus sign for our answers. You can find out more about our company history and the faces behind Yorkshire Independent Living on our about page.

Got a question that’s not answered here? Let us know and we’ll do our best to answer it.

What does a free survey involve? 2017-05-16T16:44:25+00:00

We’re happy to visit your property and give you a free, no-obligation survey and quote for any works. There is no pressure to decide on the day and we won’t ask you to sign up to anything until we have sent you through a detailed, itemised quote and design for the works.

One of our team will arrange a mutually convenient time with you in advance. We’ll confirm this in writing and you’ll be given the name of the person who’ll be visiting you so you know who to expect. Our staff all carry ID badges and are used to working with elderly and vulnerable people.

We will listen to your ideas and advise on the best solutions to meet your specific requirements. For work such as bathroom alterations or property conversions, we’ll take some measurements so that we can provide you will a scale drawing of the proposed works with your quote.

Once we’ve agreed what work you may like doing, we’ll go back to our office and prepare a fully itemised quote and design for your work. We can send this to you by email, post or deliver it in person. If you’d like to use Yorkshire Independent Living for your work, we’ll then agree on a start date for your project and send you through a contract to sign.

Do I need to pay you a deposit before work starts? 2017-05-24T16:36:54+00:00

Before starting work, we’ll issue you with a contract setting out exactly what services we’ve agreed to provide and how much the work will cost. We ask for a 25 percent deposit before we start work. Once the entire job is completed, we will invoice you for the remaining amount due.

What if I change my mind? 2017-05-15T17:52:33+00:00

If you decide you don’t want to go ahead with the work, you’re free to cancel within 14 days of signing the contract. We will refund your deposit in full, providing work hasn’t started on site.

What guarantees come with the works? 2017-05-15T17:51:05+00:00

All fixtures and fittings and the scheme of works (i.e. the installation or building work) are guaranteed for 12 months from the date of practical completion. Some manufacturers offer extended guarantees on certain products, such as showers – please ask us if you have any questions about this.

If we’re carrying out any electrical or gas work on your property, we will issue you with the relevant electrical and gas safety certificate on completion of the work.

What choice do I have over finishes? 2017-05-16T16:45:22+00:00

We offer a wide range of finishes for bathrooms, kitchens and for different fixtures. We can show you examples of these when carrying out your free survey and are confident there will be something to suit any style you’re after.

If you have something specific in mind that you’ve seen elsewhere, please let us know as we may be able to order this in for you.

Will I need planning permission for my works? 2017-05-16T16:46:06+00:00

For most adaptation works, you’re unlikely to need planning permission, but you may need to comply with building regulations. We can advise on whether this is necessary for the work you want to do and apply for approval on your behalf.

If you’re planning on extensive modifications, building an extension or you live in a listed property, you may need planning permission and consent from Building Control. We can advise on what’s required and help you through the application process. If you need us to carry out the application on your behalf, we’re happy to assist.

How long will my works take? 2017-05-15T17:46:22+00:00

Every project is different, but before we ask you to commit to anything, we will agree a time and date to start work and let you know how long we think the project will take. The start date and expected date of completion will be set out in your contract.

We pride ourselves on doing a thorough job and all our team have a ‘right first time’ mentality. Occasionally, we may not be able to complete the work as fast as we’d like due to factors outside our control (e.g. adverse weather conditions affecting external works). If this is the case, we’ll discuss the issue with you as soon as possible and agree a revised end date.

Do I have to pay VAT on works? 2017-05-16T16:53:50+00:00

If you’re a qualifying disabled person, works may be zero-rated for VAT. This means you don’t have to pay VAT on the work we carry out on your home. As of May 2017, VAT is set at 20%.

Work that can be zero-rated includes building a ramp, widening doorways, adapting a bathroom, installing lifts and restoration of décor following works. You can find out more about whether you’d qualify for zero-rated VAT on the Gov.uk website.

If you’re elderly and frail, but not disabled you won’t qualify for zero-rated VAT. However, if you’re over 60 you may be eligible for a reduced rate of VAT for mobility aids including grab rails, ramps, shower seats and walk in baths. If we install these for you then you may only need to pay 5% VAT rather than 20% VAT for the work.

What payment methods do you accept? 2017-05-15T17:41:30+00:00

We accept a variety of payment methods including cash, cheque, debit/credit cards and direct bank transfer.

What insurance and qualifications do you have? 2017-05-15T17:38:20+00:00

We have full public liability, employers liability and product liability insurance and are happy to provide evidence of this on request.

Health and safety is a top priority for us – we have third party accreditation under the Contractors Health and Safety Assessment Scheme (CHAS) and are also accredited under the SafeContractor scheme. We’re approved to test for asbestos and handle and remove this if required.

All our team are fully trained in their relevant trades and our gas engineers are all Gas Safe Registered.


CHAS logo
Are there any funds or grants available to help me pay for the works? 2017-05-16T16:50:56+00:00

If you’re disabled and need to make changes to your home to be more independent, you may be eligible for a Disabled Facilities Grant from your local authority. The amount of funding will vary depending on your household income and savings, housing tenure and whether the works are for a child or adult.

The grant may help towards the cost of works such as wheelchair ramps, creating an accessible bathroom, widening doorways or installing a stairlift.

You’ll need to apply to your local authority who will usually send an occupational therapist out to talk to you about what changes you need. You can choose for the Council’s nominated contractor to carry out works on your behalf or appoint your own contractor.

At Yorkshire Independent Living, we understand the requirements of the Disabled Facilities Grant. If you’d like us to carry out the adaptations work on your home, we’d be happy to give you a detailed quote for the works and all the information you need to provide to your local authority.

Get A Quote Today

Got a question that’s not answered above? Want to book a free survey? Pop your details in this form and one of our team will get back to you.